March 26, 2010

Be a Thermostat


By His Spirit the Lord says:

Don't be a thermometer. Be a thermostat. Do not labor to regulate yourself according to the temperature of external things and people -- even the spiritual. Do not simply reflect the spiritual climate or mental/emotional mood that surrounds you. My Holy Spirit, indwelling, is your Regulator. You are a bringer of peace, joy and light.

You grow the fruits of My Spirit, for the nourishment of those who are hungry around you. You also hold inside you multiple gifts of My Spirit (in unlimited supply) to be distributed to others as needed. This is determined by the mind of Christ, not by the demands or cravings of people.

Let Me regulate you. Do not be regulated by the dictates of circumstances or people around you.

If I am regulating you, your life will grow in the fruits of My Spirit, and My power will be manifested through you to distribute My gifts as I will. 

I do not always have the ability to withstand effects of words spoken or activity happening around me. Protection from other-conrol and power to overcome is activated by praying in the Spirit. Something comes at me (even a negative thought in my own mind). I can train myself to respond by grabbing every thought and taking it captive to Christ's obedience (what He accomplished for me on the cross).

Respond to negativity by praying in the Spirit. This is the flow of rivers of living water out of your belly (John 7:37-38). Open the floodgate. The Holy Spirit, then, is given the avenue to wash away all the muck and bring new life.


No comments: