July 20, 2008

Sweet Renewal


Day 85
Cast off everything that encumbers you -- Don't just lay it down by your feet, close to you -- Cast it off! Let my glory fall down around you. It can't surround you when you are surrounding yourself with all sorts of other things. These are idols of your heart.

I am glorious over you. But I want to fill every part of your being with my glory. You are my temple. My Spirit fills my temple when it is consecrated and ready to receive my full presence. You must be renewed. Cast off, cast out all of the old ways of thinking. Be filled with the new -- new wine -- the mind of Christ.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God [Hebrews 12:1-2].

For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ [1 Corinthians 2:16].

The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught. The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears, and I have not been rebellious; I have not drawn back [Isaiah 50:4-5].

No comments: